All Happy Campers Rates are:
- Gross in New Zealand Dollars (NZ$)
- Subject to Terms and Conditions outlined below
Standard Rates include:
- Unlimited kilometres
- Standard Happy Campers vehicle insurance (see below)
- AA 24-hour roadside assistance throughout NZ
- Vehicle living equipment
- Complementary transfers (see below)
- Good and Services Tax (GST) of 15%
- Basic cooking and living equipment supplied
- Route planners, camping park directories and other tourist information available at the depots
1. Daily Hire Charges
The daily hire charges are calculated on a daily basis. The day of pick-up is calculated as the first day of rental and the day of return is calculated as the last day of rental. Vehicle must be returned with in branch hours.
2. Hours of Operation
High Season: (01 Oct – 30 April)
Monday to Sunday 8:30am – 5:00pm
Public Holidays 10:00am – 3:00pm
Low Season: (01 May – 30 Sep)
Monday to Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm
Weekends & Public Holidays 10:00am – 3:00pm
During June-August we reserve the right to close the depot on weekends and public holidays.
The latest collection time (pick-up) from the depot is 4.00 pm during high season and 3.00 pm in the low season, so please consider your hire start date with this in mind if your flight arrival does not allow sufficient time to be at the depot by these times.
Kiwi & Happy campers Auckland and Christchurch depots are closed on the following days: 25th December (Christmas Day) and the 1st of January (New Year’s Day) and 19 April 2019 (Easter Friday).
3. Drivers Requirements and Licence
All drivers must be 18 years of age or older and hold a current valid driver’s licence at the commencement of the hire. An international licence is acceptable. If your overseas driver licence isn’t in English you must provide an accurate English translation or an International Licence. No special licence is required to drive any Happy Campers camper van or motor home in New Zealand. No maximum age limit applies.
A full driver’s licence, held for at least one year, shall be provided at the time of hire. If the licence is not in English format then an international driver’s licence is also required.
There is no extra charge for additional drivers.
To hire a 4 berth the driver must be 21 years or older.
Be aware of, and comply with, all New Zealand legislation including, but not limited to New Zealand Transport Agency rules and regulations.
4. Minimum Hire Periods
For all Happy 4 berth vehicles there is a minimum period is ten days between 1 May and 30 September and increases to 14 days for all bookings between 1 October and 30 April. For Happy 2 ST vehicles there is a minimum period is 5 days between 1 May and 30 September and increases to 10 days for all bookings between 1 October and 30 April. For all other Happy vehicles there is a minimum period is 5 days between 8 January and 14 December and increases to 7 days for all bookings between 15 December and 7 January.
Minimum rental periods are subject to further change during peak seasons. It is possible to commence your hire in Christchurch and finish it in Auckland (or vice versa) .
5. One-Way Hires
Where pick-ups originate from Auckland and return in Christchurch and the pick-up is between:
– 1 April 2018 to 30 September 2018 – a one- way fee of NZ $100.00 applies.
– 1 October 2018 to 31 March 2019 – a one- way fee of NZ $250.00 applies.
– 1 April 2019 to 30 September 2019 – a one- way fee of NZ $100.00 applies.
– 1 October 2019 to 31 March 2020 – a one -way fee of NZ $ 250.00 applies.
Where pick-ups originate from Christchurch and return to Auckland and the pick-up is between:
– 1 April 2018 to 30 September 2018 – no one- way fee applies.
– 1 October 2018 to 31 March 2019 – a one- way fee of NZ $150.00 applies.
– 1 April 2019 to 30 September 2019 – no one- way fee applies.
– 1 October 2019 to 31 March 2020 – a one -way fee of NZ$150.00 applies.
A complimentary transfer is available from the Airport or accommodation surrounding the Airport on the day of pick-up and drop-off of the vehicle in Auckland and Christchurch. Please note that complimentary transfers are only available between the hours of 10.00am and 3.00pm.
7. Deposit and payments
To secure the booking a non-refundable deposit of 10% of the booking value or a minimum of $400.00 whichever is the greater is required. This deposit may vary if the booking is through an agent of Happy Campers. The remaining balance of all rentals is due 28 days prior to the commencement of the rental period and will be detected from the credit card provided when securing the booking. If after this date the hire cancels their booking the cancellation policy will apply.
8. Credit Cards
All Credit Card transactions are conducted in New Zealand dollars. Due to the exchange rate fluctuations there could be some variances in the amount refunded compared to the amount initially charged. We do not accept any liability for variances up or down. Any Refunds by Credit Card can take up to 21 working days depending on the renter’s financial institution.
Our preferred payment method is by Credit Card / Debit Card or Cash (NZ$). We accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express. A surcharge fee of 3.5% on any American Express transaction (including the bond) applies and 2% on other credit cards. There is no charge for cash. Our policy is to charge in your credit cards in New Zealand Dollars.
When you collect your vehicle, we take an impression of your credit card for the bond. We do not deduct the bond from the credit card at the start of your hire, but merely hold the authority to deduct it in the unfortunate event of an accident. The impression of your credit card covers your accident/ damage bond liability plus any extra costs such as refilling fuel, cleaning, emptying of the toilet at the end of hire or any traffic infringements, losses or breakages and any related surcharges. Each separate accident will incur an excess charge. A credit card imprint must be on all rental agreements and must be the credit card of the main hirer unless prior arrangements have been made. Happy Campers does not accept Debit Cards for the bond imprint. Where a credit card is not available, a cash bond will be held by Happy Campers following the termination of the hire. i.e. 75% of the bond will be refunded on drop off of the vehicle and the other 25% will be refunded 30 days out from drop off of the vehicle.
Please note that your deposit is non-refundable. Cancellation fees are as follows:
20 – 28 days
20% of rental is retained by Happy Campers
10 – 19 days
60% of rental is retained by Happy Campers
0 – 9 days
100% of rental is retained by Happy Campers
Cancelled on the day or No Show
100% of rental is retained by Happy Campers
If a vehicle is returned early for any reason there is no refund available. If an amendment is made to the rental dates within 28 days of collection, no refund will be made if the length of hire is decreased (that is, the rental will be charged at the number of days originally booked). A relocation fee may apply if the collection or return location is amended within 28 days of vehicle pick-up or if notification occurs during the hire. Any amendment made to decrease the length of the hire more than 28 days prior to the rental period will incur a NZ$50.00 administration fee. It is important to note that Happy Campers may at its discretion treat any amendment to decrease the booking as a cancellation.
10. Road Restrictions
Hirers are permitted to drive their vehicle on any road in New Zealand except the following which are prohibited in all circumstances:
- Ninety Mile Beach – Northland
- North of Colville Township – Coromandel Peninsula
- Tapu-Coroglen Road – Coromandel Peninsula
- Skippers Canyon Road – Queenstown
- Ball Hutt Road – Mt. Cook
- Vehicle are not permitted on all ski field’s access roads in both the North and South Islands from the 1 June to the 31 October
- Any beach or unformed/gravel roads in New Zealand. The only exceptions to this are any recognised campground access roads or road works. Continuous driving on gravel or unsealed roads – there are no restrictions on which road the vehicle can be driven on, however, continuous travel on gravel or unsealed road voids all insurance.
- Happy Campers reserves the right at its sole discretion to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions.
Please note that if these road restrictions are breached, all insurances will become null and void and the hirer will be liable for the full cost of any and all damages incurred.
11. Vehicle Substitution and Design
Should the vehicle booked be unavailable through unforeseen circumstances, Happy Campers reserves the right to substitute an alternative vehicle without prior notification and at no extra cost. This is not constitute a breach of contract and dose not entitle the hire to a refund.
All Happy Campers vehicle are designated Smoke Free. Absolutely no smoking is allowed inside the vehicle. If a vehicle is returned with the smell of smoking inside then a $500.00 cleaning fine will apply.
13. Insurance – Standard Rates
All Happy Campers standard rates include standard Happy Campers vehicles insurance (Bronze Insurance cover). Happy Campers require a bank pre-authorisation of the insurance excess (bond) and amount from the hirer’s credit card or debit card.
The hirer is liable for all damage to the vehicle regardless of who is at fault. If the hirer is not at fault and the third party admits liability, then a refund will be processed upon receipt of payment from the third party. The hirer is liable for all damage to a third-party vehicle and /or property if the hirer is at fault.
An Accident Report MUST be filled out, when there is ANY damage to the vehicle while it is hired.
Please Note: Third party insurance is not compulsory in New Zealand and claims can take months to resolve. For peace of mind Happy Campers recommends the hire to take Platinum Insurance.
14. Excess Reduction Options
There are four levels of excess/ bond reduction available to the hirer. The standard insurance included in our rates is called the Bronze Insurance cover. You are insured in case of accident damage. The liability is applicable regardless of who is at fault and must be upon the completion of the rental period. If the hirer is not at fault and the third party admits liability, then Happy will refund the amount charged to the hirer paid immediately after the accident. Please note the hirer is fully liable for all towing/ retrieval costs of the damage vehicle regardless of the Excess Reduction Option the hirer has selected. Please be aware that once an Excess Reduction Option is selected and confirmed with Happy Campers, the cost of the Excess Reduction Options is NON-REFUNDABLE.
Bronze Insurance Cover
Happy 4 Berth – There is an excess of NZ$6,000 included within our standard rates.
Happy 2, 3, HI4, HI5 and 2ST – There is an excess of NZ$4,000 included within our standard rates.
Happy Sleepervans – There is an excess of NZ$4,000 included within our standard rates.
Silver Insurance Cover
Happy 4 Berths – Our Silver insurance cover is an extra NZ$30 per day (to a maximum of fifty (50) days) and this reduces your excess to NZ$2,000.
Happy 2,3, HI4 HI5 and 2ST – Our Silver insurance cover is an extra NZ$15.00 per day (to a maximum of fifty (50) days) and this reduces your excess to NZ$1,250.00.
Happy Sleeper vans – Our Silver insurance cover is an extra NZ$15.00 per day (to a maximum of fifty (50) days) and this reduces your excess to NZ$1,250.00.
Gold Insurance Cover
Happy 4 Berths – Our Gold insurance cover is an extra NZ$45 per day (to a maximum of fifty (50) days) and this reduces your excess to NZ$750.00.
Happy 2, 3, HI4, Hi5 and 2ST – Our Gold insurance cover is an extra NZ$22.50 per day (to a maximum of fifty (50) days) and this reduces your excess to NZ$500.00.
Happy Sleeper vans – Our Gold insurance cover is an extra NZ$22.50 per day (to a maximum of fifty (50) days) and this reduces your excess to NZ$500.00.
Gold insurance cover includes the following extras:
- Picnic table & chairs (one chair for each person travelling)
- Baby seat and/or child booster seat
- One windscreen and multiple windscreen chips will be covered for accidental damage
Platinum Insurance Cover
Happy 4 Berths – Our Platinum insurance cover is an extra NZ$70 per day (to a maximum of fifty (50) days) and this reduces your excess to NZ$0.00.
Happy 2,3, HI4, HI5 and 2ST – Our Platinum insurance cover is an extra NZ$35.00 per day (to a maximum of fifty (50) days) and this reduces your excess to NZ$0.00.
Happy Sleeper vans – Our Platinum insurance cover is an extra NZ$35.00 per day (to a maximum of fifty (50) days) and this reduces your excess to NZ$0.00.
Platinum insurance cover includes the following extras:
- Please advice us which free accessories you require prior to pick up: GPS, Baby Seat, Outside BBQ, Picnic Table and Chairs, Solar Shower and Porta Potti.
- Zero insurance excess
- Carbon emissions offsetting for all kilometres travelled – this is not road user charges
- One window, multiple windscreen chips and two tyres will be covered for accidental damage
Please note: Platinum insurance does not cover any damage, either through Negligence or Willful Misconduct to the vehicle e.g. backing into another vehicle or objects, smashing/breaking of vents by trees or leaving the vent open whilst driving, leaving windows open (except drivers and passengers) whilst driving, not avoiding objects close to the vehicle – side wiping either side and under the vehicle. etc
Protection Plus Insurance Cover
Happy 4 Berths – Our Protection Plus insurance cover is an extra NZ$60 per day (to a maximum of fifty (50) days) and this reduces your excess to NZ$0.00.
Happy 2,3, HI5 & 2ST – Our Protection Plus insurance cover is an extra NZ$30.00 per day (to a maximum of fifty (50) days) and this reduces your excess to NZ$0.00.
Happy Sleeper vans – Our Protection Plus insurance cover is an extra NZ$30.00 per day (to a maximum of fifty (50) days) and this reduces your excess to NZ$0.00.
Number of claims
Each insurance policy can only have one individual claim made by the hirer. The policy is cancelled after each accident and all payments are forfeited. Happy Campers reserve the right to agree to a renewal of any insurance policy or to cancel the hire at the hirers cost.
The hirer is completely liable for all damage to a Happy Campers vehicle or third party property where:
- These Terms and Conditions are breached
- Negligence or wilful misconduct has occurred e.g. backing into another vehicle or objects smashing/breaking of vents by trees or leaving them open whilst driving, leaving windows open (except drivers and passengers) whilst driving, not avoiding objects close to the vehicle – side wiping either side and under the vehicle.
- Incorrect or contaminated fuel is used (this includes running out of fuel or putting fuel in the water tank or system).
- The vehicle is used in contravention of any legislation or regulation.
- The hirer takes the vehicle onto a beach or sand.
- The vehicle comes submerged, flooded, bogged or immobile.
- The hirer dose not obey height-restricted areas (such as, but not limited to, car parking buildings) and damage is caused to the roof of the vehicle.
- The hirer is involved in a single vehicle rollover. This includes, but is not limited to, a vehicle that has rolled, tipped, or fallen over on its side.
- Driving on gravel or unsealed roads (there are no restrictions on which road the vehicle can be driven on, however, travel on gravel or unsealed roads voids all liability limitations).
- Retrieving, storing and recovering the vehicle to the agreed rental location following an accident.
- The hirer has failed to stop and contacted Happy Campers when a warning light appears on the dashboard.
- The hirer continues to drive the vehicle following the temperature gauge moving in a direction which shows a departure from the normal operating temperature.
- The hirer continues to drive the vehicle after a mechanical breakdown or failure (including an acci-dent) has occurred.
- The hirer, at Happy Campers request, does not complete an insurance claim form following an accident.
Accessories are available to hire off Happy Campers. It is best to pre order these to guarantee availability. You can still order the accessories at pick up but your first choice may not be available. Please note the Hirer is fully liable for all costs if the accessories are lost, damaged or stolen regardless of what Excess Reduction Option was taken. The GPS fee of $5 per day is payable up to a maximum of 30 days thereafter no fees apply (maximum $150).
Happy Campers will supply the child seat, the hire must install the child seats and make sure the restraints are installed correctly to New Zealand legislations.
To ensure that the gas bottles are off (unlocked) whilst driving and that the rear or sliding door or windows of the vehicle are open when the gas cooker is used.
17. On-Road Assistance – Mechanical Faults
If the vehicle has any mechanical failures these problems must be reported to Happy Campers as soon as possible in order to give Happy Campers the opportunity to rectify the problems during the rental.
Please Note: This service does not cover failures resulting in the hirer’s action or inaction which includes, but is not limited to the following:
- The vehicle running out of fuel or incorrect fuel being used
- The keys being locked inside the vehicle or lost
- Flat batteries caused by incorrect usage of the batteries and/or incorrect usage of any equipment that requires the batteries in order to operate
- A breakdown resulting from damage caused in an accident
- A breakdown caused by willful neglect
Happy Campers users AA Roadside Assistance. The hire may be liable for a charge by the road side assistance provider in the even assistance is required for the above. In addition, this includes relating to vehicle recovery assistance and towing in the event of an accident. These terms and conditions of hire authorises Happy Campers or AA Roadside Assistance to charge the hirer directly.
The hirer is not entitled to any refund at the end of the hire period unless Happy Campers has been advised of the problem earlier and has been given the opportunity to rectify the situation. Happy Campers does not accept any liability for any claims made after this point. Happy Campers is not liable for any delay in repair caused by the breakdown occurring on a weekend or a public holiday. A refund can be requested if the breakdown has directly caused a delay in travel of 48 hours or more, if the delay is less than 48 hours in one location Happy Campers can deny the refund request at its own discretion.
18. Maintenance and Repairs – Equipment Faults
The hirer shall take all reasonable care to ensure that the vehicle is properly maintained. This shall include DAILY checks to the oil, water and batteries. The hirer shall be liable for any cost associated with the incorrect use of fuel (fuel being diesel or petrol), including putting fuel in the water tank. The failure of accessories such as TV, DVD, CD player, microwave, gas heater, air conditioning unit, fridge and hot water heater do not constitute a breakdown. Any problems associated with the vehicles equipment, must be reported to Happy Campers as soon as possible and within 24 hours in order to give Happy Campers the opportunity to rectify the problem. Failure to do so will compromise any claims as we cannot accept liability for any claims submitted after this period. Happy Campers will endeavour to facilitate on-road repairs however should the repair not be possible or fail the hirer is not entitled to a vehicle change or compensation.
Regretfully, no refund can be given for any unused portion of your holiday. However, your travel insurance may in some circumstances cover the unused portion. Refunds for hires paid and cancelled prior to pick up will be subject to our cancellation policy. If it is determined that a refund is due, Happy campers will make the refund back on the original credit card charged, or a refund will be direct credited to your bank account. All refunds will be made in NZ$ and Happy Campers does not accept any liability for currency exchange rate fluctuations. Refunds are processed once a week and can take up to 21 working days depending on the renter’s financial institution.
20. Exchange Vehicle
- The availability of an Exchange Vehicle is not guaranteed; provision is subject to availability, Customer location, accident liability and remaining hire duration. Additional charges may be incurred (as per below).
- If an Exchange Vehicle is required because of an accident, the Customer is responsible for making their own way to the nearest Happy Campers branch at their own cost.
- Happy Campers may offer the hirer the option of paying an ‘Exchange Vehicle Relocation Fee’ to send a driver to deliver the exchange vehicle to the hirer’s location.
- The hirer will pay for any costs relating to delivery of a change over vehicle because of any single Vehicle accident. The charge applies irrespective of any Excess Reduction Options taken.
- A new insurance shall be required for the Exchange Vehicle.
21. Extra Fees
- If the vehicle is not returned in an identically clean state as it was supplied, a fee of NZ$150.00 will apply
- Public Holiday vehicle collection or drop-off will incur a one-off fee of NZ$60.00 to be paid at pick up. Happy Campers is open on the following Public Holidays: 2 January, Waitangi Day, Easter Monday, ANZAC Day, Queens Birthday, Labour Day, Boxing Day, Auckland or Christchurch Anniversary days.
- If the toilet (where applicable) is not returned empty and clean, a fee of NZ$150.00 will apply.
- If the waste tank (where applicable) is not returned empty, a fee of NZ$150.00 will apply.
- Toll roads – currently three toll roads: The Northern Gateway, the Tauranga Eastern Link and the Takitimu Drive toll roads. When you use a toll road a additional $2.30 per way one fee will be charged for each road that you use, plus a admin charge if the not paid on drop off the vehicle
22. Infringements: Traffic and Camping
All traffic infringements including Speeding, Parking Tickets, Unpaid Toll charges and Free Camping Fines are the responsibility of the hirer. Happy Campers will charge the hirer’s credit card using the bond imprint given to cover the cost of the fine, plus a processing fee of NZ$50.00. In the circumstances of credit card failure, or no credit is supplied then Happy Campers reserve the right to pass on details of the hirer’s home contact to the New Zealand Traffic Authorities at a fee of NZ$50.00
23. Fuel and LPG
All vehicles are supplied with a full tank of fuel and full bottle of LPG at the start of the hire, and must be returned with a full tank at the end of your hire. If the vehicle is returned without a full tank of fuel or LPG bottle, the hirer is liable for the cost to refill, plus a fee of NZ$50.
24. Road User Charges related to Diesel Vehicles
The Road User Charges of Diesel Vehicles is an extra to the hirer.
The Road User Charge Recovery Fee will be calculated and collected on return of the vehicle based on the kilometres travelled during the hire.
The vehicle rates per 1000kms are as follows:
- Happy 3, Hi 5 —– NZ$72.00
- Happy ST / — NZ$72.00
- Happy 4 Berths —- NZ$73.00
Happy Campers reserves the right to amend the Road User Charges Recovery Fee upon changes in Government regulations.
25. Delivery and Return of Vehicle
The vehicle shall be returned in a clean condition, on the return date in the agreement and at the location noted on the agreement.
26. Change of Drop-Off Destination
If the hirer wishes to change the drop off destination after confirmation of booking, they must first obtain authorisation from Happy Campers. Subject to the change being approved, a minimum additional charge of NZ$950 will apply.
27. Rental Extension & Late Return
If the hirer wishes to extend the rental whilst on hire, they must first obtain authorisation from Happy Campers who will advise of the addition cost. Rental extensions are subject to fleet availability. Failure to obtain authorisation (i.e. a late return) will result in the hire being charged their daily rate plus and addition NZ$500.00 per day for each day the vehicle is not returned.
These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement and there are no other oral undertakings, warranties or agreements. Happy Campers and any employee, agents or representative of the company or by anyone providing services or facilities, are not authorised to vary, add to, or delete from this agreement or to make any representation about performance, specifications or fitness for purpose of Happy Campers. The company cannot be bound by any representative or statement unless it is confirmed in writing by the company’s director or management.
Where the hirer comprises of more than one person, each person is liable jointly and severally for all obligations under this agreement Happy Campers take no responsibility for any detention, delay, loss, damage or injury that a hirer might experience no matter how it is caused by whom.
Should you book through an agent, then your travel agent will forward deposits and other payments to us on your behalf, but your travel agent is not our agent for the purpose of the receipt of monies.
No refunds are payable on accommodation, or motorhome/campervan not being available, where a hirer or passenger amends, cancels or seeks to vary the agreements after departure.
Happy Campers reserves the right to amend these Terms and Conditions, vehicle specifications and tariffs at any time without prior notice.
Happy Campers reserves the right to refuse a rental at its own discretion and cancel any rental agreements at any time if there has been any report of driving which breaches New Zealand Laws
Illustration and text in any of our websites are a representation only of the vehicle depicted. Variances in the vehicle offered for rental may occur due to substitutions made by Happy Campers or modifications and/or upgrade to the vehicle designed made by the manufacturer.
197 Montgomerie Road
Christchurch Depot (Head Office)
6 Export Avenue
Phone +64 3 3602641
Free phone 0800 0549 0444 or 0800 569 385